Saturday 30 July 2011

The easiest biscuits ever :)

My sister is off to a camp called Charnwood today- it's a huge international camp for Guides and Scouts from all over the world, she is super excited and I've been helping her pack all week! She had to take some cakes or biscuits to share with her group, so naturally we decided to try out a new recipe :)

This ginger snap cookie recipe came from the back of a Cathy Cassidy book called Ginger Snaps (similar to Jacqueline Wilson books, my sister loves them) and is really really easy to make (I know I say that a lot but seriously, you basically chuck everything in a bowl and mix it) and my sister managed everything but rolling out the dough herself.


You will need:

350g plain flour
175g light brown sugar
2 tablespoons of golden syrup
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1 and 1/5 teaspoons of ground ginger
1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
100 butter
1 egg





1) Place the dry ingredients into a bowl with the butter, and use your fingers to rub the butter and flour mixture together, it will look like fine breadcrumbs.




2) Add the sugar, egg and golden syrup and mix together with a spoon.

3) Get your hands in again, and squeeze the mixture into a dough.




4) Roll out your dough on a clean, floured surface, until approximately 1/2cm thick. Cut out cookies (we used hearts and stars, again) and place onto baking trays lined with baking paper.

5) Bake at 180C (350F, gas mark 4) for 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Leave to cool, then enjoy. You can also ice them if you wish, but I decided icing might not last too well at camp!




These are perfect dunking cookies (I cannot eat a biscuit without coffee) slightly crisp on the outside, and still soft on the inside. The ginger taste perfect for me- not too strong but definitely there :) They probably only took about 1/2 an hour to make- including baking time- and there's very little washing up (a bowl, a spoon and a seive) so they're super fast and fuss-free, thought you'd never know from tasting them- they're delicious!


                                                                                             xGretalRabbitx


2 comments:

  1. My goodness these look delightful! Thanks for adding the instructions - I've been looking for a new baking adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I hope they work out well for you (I'm sure they will- the recipe is so easy!) happy baking :)
    xGretalRabbitx

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment- it really does make my day! :)