Wednesday 25 April 2012

Review: Burt's Bees Beeswax and Banana Hand Cream.

My (most recent) tube of Neutrogena hand cream finally got used up a couple of weeks ago, so I've been giving my Burt's Bees hand cream a try instead- and I thought I should review it for you :)
I got this hand cream as a Christmas gift, but it retails at £9.99 for 55g in Boots. The packaging is pretty- covered in cute little bees :) But it is pretty heavy as the tub is actually a glass jar- not travel friendly (though I wouldn't use it on the go anyway, more on that later) and it's also not particularly hygienic.

I'm sure you know by now (if you've read any of my posts!) that I have really dry skin (I went to the opticians this morning, and she said the insides of my eyelids are inflamed and dry- there is nowhere I don't have dry skin!) so moisturising products like hand cream are pretty important to me.



I've read a couple of other peoples reviews on this, and the scent really seems to divide opinion. In the jar I think it really smells yummy (almost like real banana) but once you've rubbed it into your hands it does take on that 'fake banana' scent you get with banana sweets etc- I personally don't find it too bad, and it only lasts a few minutes before it fades- but I think you'll definitely want to sniff before purchasing.




The formula is very thick- almost waxy- and reminds me of cream cheese. It softens with your body heat, and does sink in fairly well, but it does leave a greasy film over the skin for about 15 minutes after application. For this reason I wouldn't use it on the go, or really during the day- it leaves fingerprints all over the place and leaves things feeling greasy... but I love it as a rich night-time treatment for my hands (and elbows!) You only need a really small amount to cover your hands, so although 55g isn't much, I think it would last a very long time.

It's full of lovely, moisturising ingredients including almond oil, beeswax, grapefruit seed oil, canola oil and glycerin- and is (according to the label) 100% natural. Plus it's not tested on animals which makes me happy.

I definitely find it very moisturising, I've used it on my hands, my elbows, knees and feet, and they all felt nice and smooth and well-moisturised afterwards, and the effects last quite a long time (I reapply every night and don't usually need to re-apply anything else until the next afternoon) I think it's great for those with dry skin, but anyone who doesn't need quite such a rich formula might not like it- it is quite greasy, and it will probably take longer to sink in.


Despite the high price, I know the tub will last me a very long time so I think it is probably worth it; though I'm not entirely sure if I will repurchase (it's nicely moisturising, but the greasy texture is a problem for me!) I'd recommend it to those with dry skin, but I think it would be too rich for those with 'normal' skin. And definitely check you like the scent!


Have you tried this hand cream? What do you think of the scent?

                                                                                               xGretalRabbitx

4 comments:

  1. Great review! I've sniffed this stuff and it smells like heaven. But I don't like hand creams that leave me feeling greasy, I like them to soak in! :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Agreed, it smells good enough to eat (though I can see why some people seem to hate it!) I actually quite like the ones that take a while to soak in, as generally they are the ones that moisturise my dry skin properly!

      xGretalRabbitx

      Delete
  2. I've not heard of this before! I'm definitely going to find it! I love banana flavours so I'm sure I'll love this! My hands need some tlc.. I gave you an award on my blog (http://cutie-cle.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/liebster-award.html) because I love your blog! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I think you'll like it then, good luck finding it! (and let me know how you get on) Aww thank you :)
      xGretalRabbitx

      Delete

Leave me a comment- it really does make my day! :)